[Akron-Talk] updates and chapter news

Dave Bertsch dwbertsch at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 18:26:11 UTC 2018

Here's a brief update for our chapter, and much of this is also on the Voicebox you can call in and listen to. Remember that is 641-715-3900 ext 601592

We have some birthdays this Month-Happy Birthday to Kiana, Juanita, Missy, Eunice, Margaret and Ger!

You'll recall a week ago we mailed some info, like the copy of an Welcome we got via email from Pam Allen, the NFB Vice President, and and descriptions of how to use Akron-Talk, the Voicebox and getting to the meeting room in the Library.

At the meeting I shared a reading from the current Braille Monitor-it's the premier monthly publication of the NFB. Are you subscribed? The reading was from an article covering the national convention in July, about raising expectations and how the vast majority of us who do the work of the Federation are volunteers, doing serious work that matters and makes a difference.

Treasurer Report
I shared we need a new Treasurer. Eric remains a member but said he must resign from a leadership role. Like I said on the current Voicebox message, we need more than a new Treasurer. This person will be a board member and leader in the chapter as we move forward and grow. If you're interested and are determined to commit to the responsibility of treasurer and of leadership, of consistently being at meetings and serving the chapter and its members, we would welcome that and I ask you to call me about it before the next meeting.

We had some reports given at the meeting, and I shared how we heard from Ken Maher, who shared info about our new chapter and about the NFB at his Veterans meeting last week. Awesome Ken!

We also talked about our Eye Doctors-and anyone who missed it, we are all asking that we each talk to our eye doctor about our new chapter, and ask your doctor HOW we can get him or her to refer their patients who need support-to us? Many of them probably don't know we exist and that we and the NFB can provide resources and support to the doctor's blind and vision-impaired patients.

Also as part of our Outreach report, we still need another volunteer for the October 9 event in Canton, the Philomatheon Society of the Blind. We will have a table and pass out info, answer questions-and some others that will be doing the same thing are OOD, Cleveland Sight Center, the Guide Dog group, eyecare professionals and vendors-even if you don't man the table with us there is a lot of reason to get down there to see all these vendors. Let me know if you can step up and represent our chapter and organization. It's Tuesday October 9, the best would be take the 2 hour block from 11:30 to 1:30. Call me if you can do this.

We covered the State Convention and all the options for transportation, and a paper mail-in registration for those not wanting to sign up on the website for the convention and banquet. There is also now some financial assistance for those wanting to attend but need help paying for it. The amount is not unlimited, and there is a catch like putting in some volunteer time (the form was sent to all via Akron-Talk) but the State is doing all it can to have you able to participate and attend.

The exhibit hall is worth the trip there, thirty exhibitors who have products and services just for our group. That's not something you'll easily find.

We listened to the NFB President Release, which laid out the partnership between the NFB and Lyft and Uber, and the progress that has been made making using Uber and Lyft more accessible and reliable. Awesome work the NFB is doing!

Kiana shared that she had been on a conference call with the State Diabetes Action Network. Like most of the state committees and divisions, they meet monthly on the phone and all NFB members are welcome to call in and to join these divisions and state committees. You can find them on the state website, they're special-interest groups that assist blind people and represent them in their specific area. There's the Diabetes one, Blind Merchants, Blind Students, Guide Dog Users, Seniors, and more.

On the same line of thought, we talked about and handed out a sheet with seven or eight different ways each of us can Plug In-to stay informed, educated and inspired, from the Braille Monitor and Newsline, to the NFB Youtube and Facebook pages, the NFB Podcast and NFB Mobile App, and our local channels like the Akron-Talk email list and the Voicebox. There are a lot of ways to stay engaged and involved, so please continue to get on and sign up for the ones you like to use.

In addition to that list of tools, we passed out some business cards we had printed, and I'm looking to do the next batch with braille on the back side.

We'll bring the list and more cards to the next meeting.

Speaking of the next meeting-have you seen the calendar? You are welcome to participate in all of these.

September 20-Cleveland Chapter Employment Forum

October 6-Akron Cane Walk, an all-day festival at Rubber Ducks Park!

October 9-Philomatheon Society Vision Fair in Canton

October 20-Meeting at the Library with Bambi from Metro

October 30-OOD has a Job Fair in Independence, 77 & Rockside

November 2-Convention in Strongsville

November 17-Meeting at the Library

December 15-Meeting at...Colleen and Kiana are planning our December Holiday meeting. They'll be in touch to get eberyone's input.

There's a lot going on, so stay in the loop by showing up, and signing up for publications and events.

You can call or email me or anyone in the chapter any time you need anything.

Thanks for reading and being an important part of our growing team-see you soon!

Dave