[Akron-Talk] minutes and meeting

Dave Bertsch dwbertsch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 13:00:51 UTC 2020

Hello and good morning! Following are the minutes from our August meeting.
Please review and be prepared to vote on them this Saturday at our
September meeting. We start at 11 a.m. on our Conference Line, so please be
on time. The number is 515-604-9819 and then enter code 531953. Thanks and
catch you then!

Greater Akron Chapter

Meeting Minutes for August 15 2020

The meeting was called to order at 11 a.m. on our Chapter Conference Line.

Roll Call was taken, with 18 members and 5 guests present. Guests were
Affiliate President Richard Payne, Affiliate Vice President and Cleveland
Chapter President Suzanne Turner, Capital Chapter President Annette Lutz,
and also from Cleveland William Turner and Delcenia Brown. Thank you for
joining us!

We read together the 1-Minute Message: The National Federation of the Blind
knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your
future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can
live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back

President’s Remarks

Dave announced the August Birthdays—just one, Mr. James Parsons

Also addressed were the Covidsituation and future meetings.

The Library Accessible Zone is again being worked on, an area in the
library devoted to accessible hardware and software. The braille books we
donated should likewise be on the shelves soon.

Dave mentioned he had mailed everyone a Metro Update and is mailing passes
for free rides good for line service.

We will vote and adopt a new Chapter Constitution today

Dave also shared there is a Sharing Solutions call August 16 tomorrow night
at 7 on the Ohio Conference Line, on Losing Vision Later in Life. The call
details were given.

Reports

Secretary Report: Minutes from July 18, 2020 were voted on and approved
unanimously

Treasurer Report: There were no transactions since the previous meeting, so
our treasury balance remains as $348.23

Member dues must be in by October 1 because the chapter must pay its dues
to the state before the state convention. Also we/the board has already
extended the due date three months, to address the Covid situation.

Pat reminded everyone the board had discussed increasing annual dues, to
$10, and she made a motion to do this. Approval was unanimous.

Committee Reports

Constitution Committee: Pat reminded everyone of the process we undertook,
to revise and bring up to speed, our Chapter Constitution. She motioned and
Andra secondxed to pass and adopt our new Chapter Constitution. The motion
passed unanimously.

Publicity and Social Media Committee: Dave reported our little chapter has
136 Facebook Likes

Newsline Committee: Pat shared updates on Newsline and offered to help new
members get on board with this valuable service.

Veterans Committee: Ken reported that Dave spoke at the VA meeting on
August 11th and shared about the NFB with several members of our local VA
who have vision loss.

Fundraising Committee: Dave reported that as of today, we are part of the
Acme Community Cash Back program, so shop at Acme and save your receipts.
Tell your family and friends to do the same. Dave sent fliers to every
member in the mail. We will submit all receipts in late December, and get
paid!

Conventions Committee: Andra gave a National Convention Recap, and then
Pat, Jessica, Andra and Colleen all shared their experiences. Pat shared a
preview of the upcoming Ohio State Convention, to be held virtually
November 6-8. Pat has offered registration help to any who need it.

Events Committee: Colleen recently toured the zoo and says our outing there
is in doubt. We do have a room reserved at On Tap, if we are able to hold a
holiday gathering in December. Dave reminded everyone of our October 8
fundraiser at Beef O’Brady’s in Stow, same place as last October. Fliers
will soon be available and carry-out orders will be included for the
fundraiser.

Outreach/Legislation Committee: Pat shared about the Senior Division
fundraiser, which had appeared on Ohio Talk, and which Dave had forwarded
to Akron Talk,

Membership Committee: We had two potential members join us today, introduce
themselves and express an interest in Joining our chapter and family, and
both recited the NFB Pledge, Paige Rackley and Todd Jaffray. Kiana made the
motion to approve both for active membership, and Charlie seconded. The
vote was unanimous. William Turner reminded Dave to post a welcome to these
members on Ohio Talk. Welcome aboard Paige and Todd!

Other Business

Annette Lutz shared about the Blind Merchants Division and was very well
received. Thank you Annette.

Jessica reminded everyone of the virtual choir practice on Friday at 8 p.m.

Suzanne reminded everyone of the senior committee call, plus the earlier
mentioned fundraiser.

Important Dates were shared, including:

September 19 Meeting via conference call

October 17 Meeting via conference call

November 6-8 State Convention via Zoooooom

November 21 Meeting at the Library or via conference call, TBD

The meeting was adjourned at 12:25 p.m.

###