[Arizona-students] ASU Student

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 20:57:58 UTC 2013

Hi Suzanne,
Welcome to the list. I am Arielle Silverman, a past president of the
Arizona Association of Blind Students (AABS). I grew up in Scottsdale
and attended ASU from 2003-2007, graduating with my bachelor's in
biology and psychology. I am almost totally blind, so I didn't use
CCTV's or large print, but I wanted to ask you if you had thought
about using a screen reader like JAWS or VoiceOver to read your
assignments, or if you have thought about getting your books from
either BookShare or Learning Ally. Screen readers like JAWS are not
very hard to learn and there are tons of people in AZ who would be
more than happy to help teach you. I suspect that you will find
reading is much quicker using speech than it is using print, which
you've said is getting slower for you. Also, if you get books from
BookShare (which is free for students), you can get your books in a
digital version that can be read in audio format, large print, E-text
or Braille, and Learning Ally provides books in digital audio. I hope
that will give you some more options to work with. I'm at work now so
this note is a little rushed, but I'll write again later tonight or
tomorrow. Best of luck and go Devils!
Arielle