[Art_beyond_sight_advocacy] newbie searching for advice on making community art shows accessible

Virginia Small virginials at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 28 20:58:54 UTC 2009

Hi:

When you say making art accessible, do you mean the exhibition, or the art itself?

There are lots of touchable art pieces you could include if you are talking about the art.

You could make sure the wall art is hung at wheelchair height. I think that is 5 feet from the floor so a person sitting down could see it without neck strain. It might be a little higher. Someone else on this listserve might know. That goes for art on pedestals, too.

Cards printed in larger type and Braille would help a lot. The described tour sounds great. Perhaps you could send out a call to get volunteers. You may need to train them, assign hours etc.

Have you checked with VSA or Americans for the Arts to see about books? What about the National Arts and Disability Center?

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Virginia

 Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys the companion piece to Zebracorn Graphics.
Check out my new online store at www.ArtWanted.com/zebracorn