[Art_beyond_sight_advocacy] newbie searching for advice on making community art shows accessible

Shirley Confino-Rehder scr at univdesign.com
Tue Sep 29 10:06:21 UTC 2009

HI Kestrell,

I just looked up some photos of other Arisia conventions. There seems to be
lots of performing arts, games played, informal set-ups.  Please let me know
what is planned this year. Maybe you can create some interesting interactive
accessible experiences.  Shirley

On 9/28/09 4:36 PM, "Kestrell" <kestrell at panix.com> wrote:

> Hi, Shirley
>
> It is a science fiction convention to be held in mid-January, 2010.
>
> The art show is a really big event at Arisia, and includes many visual media
> as well as multi-media such as sculptures, masks, jewelry, fabric sculpture,
> etc.
>
> Everything at Arisia is volunteer run, but I am trying to find someone
> specifically with a strong interest in art. I expect this part will not be
> too difficult.
>
> The entire convention draws about 2300+ attendees, but I am guessing that
> the audience for a described tour will be somewhere between ten and twenty.
>
> There are a number of blind and low vision attendees who attend Arisia every
> year (approx. ten to fifteen who use Braille and large print programs) and
> at least four wheelchair users. I expect a handful of people would be
> interested in the tour just to learn how one is done.
>
> Each year we have at least some artists who put up "Please touch" signs on
> their art, so I think there will be some tactile art for the attendees. Part
> of the tour would be about guiding people to these specific art works.
> Another aspect would be describing some of the more popular visual media
> works in the art show. You can tell which are the most popular works because
> the art is also auctioned off, and since interested buyers leave slips of
> paper near the works to document their interest and their proposed price,
> the slips of paper would indicate popularity.
>
> The length of the tour should be less than an hour to allow people to get to
> the next panel or event but no less than an hour.
>
> I'm not sure how many art works are in the art show each year, but I've
> walked through it with friends and it usually takes an hour or so.
>
> Also, the art show coordinators are going to put a question on the
> questionnaires for the artists in the show asking if they would be willing
> to have people touch their work.
>
> Kestrell

>>> volunteer). I would scan it myself but the book costs, according to

>>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/art_beyond_sight_advocacy_nfbnet.org/s