[Art_beyond_sight_advocacy] Resources for Tactile Art

Ali Steenis parafuture at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 00:09:11 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I have really enjoyed reading all of the posts in this group. I am new to NFB net and have a question.

I am a student at Seattle Pacific University and will be serving as a student government senator for two of our residence halls. One of the halls is still in construction and will open for its first year next year. I am blind and travel with a guide dog and my major cause for next year as a senator is t create an environment in the new dorm that is accessible for all people especially those with disabilities. I want future students with any kind of disability to feel that they were thought of in the early years of the dorm; that their unique ways of interacting and enjoying the dorm have been thought of and included.

My biggest idea is to have all of the wall art in the dorm be tactile with braille as well as print captions. I know from experience that art made from fabrics, tile or other materials can be visually appealing as well as tactilely. By includin this kind of art in the dorm's common areas it would provide something for blind students to enjoy as well as a great opportunity to promote inclusion and dedication to all residents of all unique abilities.

With this said, I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on how I might acquire and implement this kind of art. Or ideas on how I can expand on this idea to make it most effective. I am thinking that having smaller pieces may be easier but I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Thanks so much for reading!

Ali Steenis
Seattle Pacific University
2014-2015 Arnett Hall/Emerson Hall Hall Council Senator
National Ability Center - Coach Intern
steenisa at spu.edu
425-530-2333

Ali Steenis