[Art_beyond_sight_educators] Ovi map, map, photography, art classes, photography, signings

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Wed Aug 11 08:03:08 UTC 2010

Not exactly tactile, but it is about maps
Ovi Maps for visually impaired people: meet Carsten (video)
<http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/08/10/ovi-maps-for-visually-impaired-people-meet-carsten-video/>

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/08/10/ovi-maps-for-visually-impaired-people-meet-carsten-video/

excerpt
Semi-autonomous buggy helps blind drivers
"The researchers also developed a prototype for a tactile map, which is
conceptually similar to a high-resolution grid of regenerative braille.
Similar to the tiny holes on an air hockey table, a physical map is
generated by passing compressed air through small pixels to depict the
surrounding obstacles detected by the laser range finder."
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4205825/Semi-autonomous-buggy-helps-blind-drivers

blog
excerpt
Photography for the Visually Impaired -- Not as Strange as You Might Think

2010

Photography is one of the most vision intensive hobbies, so many
visually impaired people have the misconception that they can't enjoy
it.  Actually, nothing could be further from the truth.  There are
visually impaired fine art photographers such as Kurt Weston
<http://www.kurtweston.com/>, and visually impaired photographers, such
as Bruce Hall <http://www.visualsummit.com/>, who have works on display
at the Smithsonian.  Totally blind people take pictures and use cameras
on a more regular basis then you might imagine.  People shouldn't let a
visual impairment keep them from photography.  All you need is to know
how to adapt the picture-taking process to your particular needs.  Here
are a few suggestions on how that can be accomplished:

http://www.aisquared.com/blog/2010/07/photography-for-the-visually-impaired-%E2%80%93-not-as-strange-as-you-might-think/

excerpt

<http://www.shutterbug.com/news/>
Donate Your Cameras to Help Others at RTP

Jane Becker, Executive Director of RTP stated, "The Summer Camera Drive
is an integral part of our program. The equipment we receive in the next
30 days will make a world of difference in the lives of our program
participants. Some participants have used photography not only to enrich
their lives, but also as a stepping stone to further education or to a
career in photography. Your donation is urgently needed and, we gladly
accept cash donations as well."_Please help RTP to reach their 2010
Summer Camera drive goals and donate a camera or send a cash donation today.

RTP's goal is 75 more Cameras by September 1, 2010. Cameras can be "new"
or "used". They can be" old" or "new" but in working condition. We
gladly accept both "film" and "digital" cameras. All types of cameras
are needed from easy "point and shoot" cameras to "SLR's". A donation of
one camera from an individual is as treasured as a large donation from a
camera manufacturer or dealer. Whenever possible, please include flash
cards, downloadable cables, battery charger, straps and instructions
books with cameras. Donations of accessories, such as, lenses, camera
bags, tripods, media cards, batteries and film are welcome. Please ship
the cameras directly to: RTP, 3 East 33rd Street, Suite 101, New York,
NY 10016. All donations are tax deductable.
http://shutterbug.com/news/080910donate/

Rehabilitation through Photography

http://www.rtphoto.org/

photography in Korea

transcript from a news program
http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_View.asp?nseq=105626&code=Ne2&category=2

excerpt

Visually Impaired Kids Learn Art, Life Skills at UWS School

When you're a blind or visually-impaired child, you're often forced to
rely on others for basic needs, such as feeding yourself and getting
around the city.

But at the Jewish Guild for the Blind <http://www.jgb.org/index.asp>'s
art therapy class on Wednesday, students did something unusual: created
something on their own terms, with little or no help.

"This is one of the few places where they can make independent choices
and follow-through on it," said art therapist Sarah Valeri.

That's a key life skill for the students --- many of whom are
developmentally disabled --- to learn, Valeri said.

Valeri and Tanapol Pachoei, executive director of the Children Art
Foundation <http://www.childrenartfoundation.org/index.html>, guided
five Jewish Guild for the Blind students through the art class.

The school at 15 W. 65th St. serves about 50 students ages 5 through 21
who are blind, visually-impaired and have other disabilities.

At Wednesday's class, some students made necklaces and crowns out of
colorful beads. Some made colorful creations out of purple, red and blue
cellophane and colored tape.

Students who couldn't see well relied on their hands to guide them
through their projects.

Read more:
http://dnainfo.com/20100805/upper-west-side/visually-impaired-kids-learn-art-life-skills-at-uws-school/slideshow#ixzz0wHV1ii5U

slideshow

http://dnainfo.com/20100805/upper-west-side/visually-impaired-kids-learn-art-life-skills-at-uws-school/slideshow

excerpt
Blind wildlife artist to sign prints at Indian Island Winery

With an "Aw, shucks," demeanor, Jim Hansel says some people who call his
studio are surprised to actually be talking to the renowned wildlife artist.

The 49-year-old Chaska native still lives in his hometown and often
answers his own phone when people call.

"They act like I should be living on a mountain or something," he said
with a laugh. "I'm just a normal, regular guy. I like talking to people.
I don't want to be isolated."

Something else unique about Hansel: He's legally blind, caused by
Stargardt's disease, a degenerative condition that starts in the center
vision and works outward on the retina. Hansel was diagnosed at age 12,
and his remaining vision is peripheral only.

"I think if I hadn't been artsy as a kid, I couldn't do it now," he
said. "I'd certainly have second thoughts."

Because of his blindness, Hansel believes he pays more attention to
details than he might if he was fully sighted.

"Of course, it takes me a little more time, too," said Hansel, who will
sign prints of one of his paintings at Indian Island Winery in rural
Janesville Saturday.

The longest a single painting took to complete was four months.

"That was my father-in-law's farm, where my wife grew up," he said. "I
had to make sure everything was perfect in that one."

A few original paintings adorn the walls of Hansel's studio, but most
are sold.

What
Meet artist Jim Hansel
Where
Indian Island Winery, on County Road 37, five miles south of Smiths Mill
from Highway 14 in rural Janesville
When
The artist will be signing autographs 1-4 p.m. Saturday during the
winery's Summer Wine Fest. The winery will be open until 9 p.m.
Admission
$2, plus the cost of wine, food and "Native Lands" prints.
More information
Call the winery at 507-234-6222
begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              507-234-6222
end_of_the_skype_highlighting or visit www.indianislandwinery.com.

http://mankatofreepress.com/features/x1778838676/Blind-wildlife-artist-to-sign-prints-at-Indian-Island-Winery