[Art_beyond_sight_educators] Adaptive Device, tablet, books, Esref Argaman

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Fri May 6 12:15:11 UTC 2011

links to articles and website
Vision Is in the Mouth of the Beholder With Adaptive Device
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/741919

excerpt
(note: think this is a reference to Esref Armagan)

The assignments for our module requested the students to write about
artworks that conveyed these meanings, but also had a personal impact on
themselves.

Working with the director from our National Centre for Arts Health at
Tallaght Hospital, we were bowled over by the responses. Their chosen
topics included popular music ( /Cancer/ by My Chemical Romance), film (
/Flatliners/ ), poetry (one of Eliot's /Four Quartets/ ), art (paintings
by a blind Turkish artist), architecture (the new Birmingham Children's
Hospital) and personal narrative (Beethoven's Heilgenstadt Testament on
his deafness). The range, content and quality should provide reassurance
to future generations of patients and society.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2011/0503/1224295910258.html

excerpt
Duo's tactile tablet reaches finals of international tech competition
As students of Vivekanand Education Society's Institute of Technology in
Chembur, Amit Kulkarni, 22 and Shailesh Lohia, 21 would occasionally
meet a particular blind student. A casual conversation with him revealed
just how difficult it was for the visually impaired to use the computer
or access edu cational materials online."We then realised we had to come
up with something that would dynamically convert images online into a
format that the visually challenged could access."

This moment of awakening led the duo to create such a device over ten
months. Their innovation, a tactile tablet, changes icons, diagrams and
images into a format that the visually challenged can access simply by
touching the screen.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Duo-s-tactile-tablet-reaches-finals-of-international-tech-competition/Article1-692198.aspx

book website
I read with my hands