[Art_beyond_sight_educators] Batman, Disney, haptic

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Thu Jul 25 09:39:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

Some interesting articles - some about Disney's technique of creating
haptic feedback in the air and two articles which are sort of connected.
The first article is about cartoonists drawing with their eyes closed
and the second is an exhibition about the decline of Braille. What I
mean by connected in this case is, I think in the case of these two
articles, an awaking of the sighted world in regards to visual
impairments and drawing, visual arts.  When I first saw the title of the
article New Exhibition Exploring The Decline Of Braille, I thought "WOW,
someones making a statement about that" but then understood it was an
artist using Braille as an element. That of course is good, but not
quite what I thought. But in both of these cases it seems to me that it
brings the idea of VI and art, graphic information closer to the public
conciousness.

Enough long winded spouting from me. But hope you will "Spout out!"
about what you think.

Regards,

Lisa

Blind artist doco transcends limits

Another moving documentary is being shown at the Suter on Thursday
evening. Black Sun is the creation of Gary Tarn, the director, producer,
photographer, editor and composer of its original music.

It is narrated by Hugues de Montalembert, whose story provides the
inspiration for this film.

In 1978 de Montalembert, a French artist, photographer, and film-maker
living in New York City, was walking home one night to his apartment in
Greenwich Village when a senseless event occurred, one which was to
change his life forever.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/features/arts/8958373/Blind-artist-doco-transcends-limits

Comics Professionals Draw Batman With Their Eyes Closed, And It Is Glorious

... Inspired by the website Blind as a Bat
<http://www.blindasabatman.com/>, artist *Olly Moss* approached a bunch
of industry friends at Comic-Con with a task: *close your eyes, pick up
a marker, and draw Batman*. Among those who stepped up to the challenge
were *Becky Cloonan, Mark Chiarello, Jock, Jhonen Vasquez, Duncan Jones,
Mark Buckingham*, and many more, and the results are amazing. You can
check out a few examples, including Yost's masterpiece, below.
http://comicsalliance.com/blind-as-a-batman-art-olly-moss-sdcc-2013/

Draw online
Draw Batman with your eyes closed.
http://www.blindasabatman.com/

Blind Art : New Exhibition Exploring The Decline Of Braille

*A new exhibition exploring the decline of Braille opens this Friday (26
July) at the University of Abertay Dundee's Hannah Maclure Centre art
gallery. Double Blind Test Series is an exhibition of print works
highlighting the artistic research by David Lyons, Abertay lecturer and
researcher. The series was conceived as a visual investigation of
sensually expressive printmaking.*

As Braille is a communication tool in decline, Lyons believes that the
increasing abandonment of Braille opens it to exploration and
experimentation, and that this may result in Braille becoming a dynamic
form of expression for the sighted -- with exhibition visitors
experiencing Braille through sight and not touch.

http://www.artlyst.com/articles/blind-art-new-exhibition-exploring-the-decline-of-braille

Disability no barrier to arts

A real blind person playing the role of a blind person is unfortunately
still a novel scene on a Queensland stage.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/07/24/3809863.htm

Disney's Aireal delivers precise tactile feedback out of thin air
With systems like the Kinect
<http://www.gizmag.com/kinect-for-windows/20585/> and Leap Motion
<http://www.gizmag.com/leap-motion-windows-video-preview/27587/>,
controlling a gadget with just the wave of a hand is starting to become
much more commonplace. The one drawback to those gesture-based devices
however is that you never actually touch anything. No matter what you
see on the screen, you're still very aware that you're just moving your
hands through the air. The Pittsburg branch of Disney Research may be
able to change that with Aireal, a low-cost haptic system which fires
out small rings of air that allow people to feel virtual objects.
http://www.gizmag.com/disneys-aireal-tactile-feedback-system/28432/
links in article
http://www.gizmag.com/kinect-for-windows/20585/
http://www.gizmag.com/leap-motion-windows-video-preview/27587/

Disney Research creates haptic feedback out of thin air
http://www.cnet.com.au/disney-research-creates-haptic-feedback-out-of-thin-air-339344951.htm

Legally blind artist, 97, paints in pixels
Using nothing more than Microsoft Paint, artist Hal Lasko stays in tune
with his favorite passion. Don't miss this video showing his
inspirational story.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57595142-1/legally-blind-artist-97-paints-in-pixels/