[Art_beyond_sight_educators] Hayhoe: Expanding Our Vision of Museum Education and Perception, Harvard Educ Rev

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Fri Aug 9 12:29:26 UTC 2013

The Spring issue of the Harvard Education Review, HARVARD EDUC REV VOL
83 #1 <http://www.pssconline.com/item.wws?Sku=0017-8055-831>,  is
entitled Expanding Our Vision for the Arts in Education. Especially of
note, Simon Hayhoe has published in it his findings from my study of
blind visitors studying painting at The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Expanding Our Vision of Museum Education and Perception:
<http://hepg.org/her/abstract/1224>
An Analysis of Three Case Studies of Independent Blind Arts Learners
SIMON HAYHOE

In this study, Simon Hayhoe investigates the experiences of blind museum
visitors in the context of the relationships between the artworks they
learned about in museums, those they experienced when younger, and the
social, cultural, and emotional influences of their museum experiences.
The three case studies he presents support his hypothesis that, for
blind visitors, proximity to works of art is at least as important as
perceiving the art itself. This finding questions Gombrich's theory of
the economy of vision and Jay's theory of scopics and supports the
notion that exclusion from art in this context is more passive than active.

*Simon Hayhoe* is a member of the faculty at Sharjah Higher Colleges of
Technology (United Arab Emirates) and a Centre Research Associate at the
London School of Economics (U.K.). His work has focused on blindness and
visual culture, blindness and education, grounded theory, disability
culture and epistemology and, most recently, analysis of cultural
attitudes toward disabled people in Arab countries and developing
methodology. His most recent publications include /Grounded Theory and
Disability Studies/ (Cambria Press, 2012), "The Development of a
Sustainable Disabled Population in the Countries of the Cooperation
Council for the Arab States of the Gulf," in /Global Sustainable
Communities Design Handbook/ (Elsevier, forthcoming), and "Towards an
Inter-Cultural Dialogue on Disability between Arab Muslims and Western
Christians," in /Intercultural Communication with Arabs/ (Macmillan
Palgrave, forthcoming). Prior to working in his current post, Hayhoe was
a fellow at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, funded by a
Fulbright All Disciplines Scholars Award.
http://hepg.org/her/issue/232

http://hepg.org/her/abstract/1224