[Art_beyond_sight_educators] crowd sourcing

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Thu Aug 29 09:50:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

Have included one article that is a bit off topic but I liked it so
thought you might too. It's about a voice over artist.
Otherwise, one article about a crowdsourcing app that is really neat and
one about braille street art.

Regards,

Lisa

MySmartEye app crowdsources vision for people who are visually
impairedAn app called MySmartEye is crowdsourcing sight for the visually
impaired and YOU can help.

The app connects visually impaired users with volunteers who use their
sight to help the user connect with the environment around them.

The users of MySmartEye follow voice commands and double tap their
smartphone to take a photo. The picture is then sent to a volunteer in
real time. The volunteers are alerted to the picture by a simple
notification and then describe what they see by typing information in a
text message-type box.

That text is then read back to that visually impaired user.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/mysmarteye-app-crowdsources-vision-for-people-who-are-visually-impaired

http://www.zdnet.com/sg/crowdsourcing-app-mysmarteye-helps-visually-impaired-see-7000019883/

http://mysmarteye.starhub.com/

MySmartEye (www.starhub.com/mysmarteye) is an award-winning
crowdsourcing application that engages volunteers, family and friends to
assist the visually impaired to see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li3A3HY2vlw

*A visually impaired RAF veteran has presented a painting commemorating
Andy Murray's Wimbledon victory to the Scot's grandparents.*

Shirley and Roy Erskine, grandparents of tennis legend Andy Murray, were
handed the painting, titled 'Andy Murray Serving an Ace at Wimbledon'
from 93-year-old Scottish War Blinded member Dorothy Wheatley.

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/arts/visual-arts/blind-artist-paints-andy-murray-wimbledon-picture-1-3063361

Austin Seraphin, 36, lugs his Braille writer down the stairs of his
Bella Vista apartment and sets the typewriter-like contraption on a
table. The machine's bell softly rings from the impact. His friend Sonia
Petruse, 27, says she has a sticker for him, and he grabs at the air in
the general direction of her voice until his fingers pinch the Priority
Mail label. He rolls it into the writer and types, creating raised dots
the size of pinheads, barely visible to the eye. Seraphin hands the
now-bumpy sticker back to Petruse for her part of this dual effort:
writing down the bumps' translation in the standard sighted alphabet.
Like watching invisible ink reveal itself, a message emerges letter by
letter as she writes: "Buy silver. Crash J.P. Morgan!"

Jackie O sunglasses perched on her blond head, Petruse scribbles
"Braille street art" at the bottom of the sticker, along with some
arrows, dots and x's, then tosses it into a pile of others bearing
messages like "Aaron Swartz died for you" and "Protect Snowden"
glimmering in metallic Sharpie. Petruse, a painter, installation artist
and social-media manager, will take these stickers with her as she tours
galleries for First Friday later that day, slapping them up wherever
there's space --- on newspaper honor boxes, street lamps, signs. She'll
place them low enough that anyone, blind or sighted, can run his or her
hands over the message.

The duo started making Braille street art, as they call it, in March.
Since then, they've put up roughly 60 embossed stickers around town.
Recently, Petruse and the legally blind Seraphin, who can see some light
and color but not much else, were jointly nominated for Philadelphia
Geek Awards' Visual Artist of the Year, the winner of which will be
announced this Saturday at a red-carpet event at the Academy of Natural
Sciences.

http://www.citypaper.net/article.php?What-s-Braille-street-art-166

      Braille Street Art

Legally blind local programmer Austin Seraphin created Braille street
art with Sonia Petruse back in March, previewing the project during the
#NotAtSXSW party in the Drink Philly offices. Each and every sticker is
created on Austin's Braille writer, with messages written in both
Braille and print and placed around Philadelphia by Petruse. Due to the
unique circumstances and the nature of their work, the duo behind
Braille street art have been nominated as a team.

A unique, beautiful project, the Braille stickers appeared on newspaper
boxes and other locations around Philly. Learn more about Austin's work
championing accessibility here
<http://blog.austinseraphin.com/2013/03/13/braille-street-art/>

http://www.phillygeekawards.com/award-category/visual-artist-of-the-year/

Recently, I began chatting with an artist friend of mine
<http://twitter.com/thecatears>. We met when Indy Hall did their
Jellyweek event <http://behindthecurtain.us/page/2/> at National
Mechanics. She enjoys doing street art, creating bumper stickers and
pasting them on public newspaper boxes. I immediately felt attracted to
the subversive nature of the art. It didn't take us long to realize that
I could put one of these stickers into a good old fashioned Perkins
brailler <http://www.perkins.org/store/braillers/> and create braille
street art.

I would like to think we have done something novel, but not entirely. I
found an article <http://drawn.ca/archive/tag/street-art/page/2/> about
a project in Portland, Oregon. In this case, the message says: "You
don't need to be blind to see that the writing is on the wall."
Excellent! I've also seen sculptures with braille plaques on them, and
they do have a blind garden somewhere around here. Still I can't escape
the feeling that we have done something special.

We just made these stickers in a few minutes as a totally grass roots
operation. ..... By the way, that bastion of truth Wikipedia
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_art> defines street art as
"specifically visual art." Not anymore!

http://blog.austinseraphin.com/2013/03/13/braille-street-art/

      Blind artist Bruce Horak draws his audience in

        During each performance of his new Fringe play, Bruce Horak
        creates a painting of the audience. Then at the end he sells it
        to the highest bidder.

During each performance of his new Fringe play, Bruce Horak creates a
painting of the audience. Then at the end he sells it to the highest bidder.

Don't expect Robert Bateman-style realism, however. Horak, 39, who lives
with just nine per cent vision, is legally blind.

His show, opening Tuesday at the Victoria Fringe Theatre Festival, is
Assassinating Thomson. Over 75 minutes, Horak paints, talks about
painter Tom Thomson (who some believe was murdered) and chats about his
own life.

A painter as well as an actor/playwright, Horak first became intrigued
with Thomson after seeing his iconic painting, Jack Pine --- a haunting
image of a lone tree at sunset.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/blind-artist-bruce-horak-draws-his-audience-in-1.599743

Blindness Didn't Keep Voice Over Artist From Success

http://digital.vpr.net/post/blindness-didnt-keep-voice-over-artist-success

See how voice over artist Pete gustin has overcome being legally blind
to make a career for himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_2TGdWk5U

<http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/mysmarteye-app-crowdsources-vision-for-people-who-are-visually-impaired#ixzz2dLRofx8q>