[Art_beyond_sight_educators] Repost: First born-accessible digital astronomy textbook

Lisa Yayla Lisa.Yayla at statped.no
Fri Feb 13 08:59:56 UTC 2015

Forwarding epost from AltMedia list

Very interesting concept - lots of accessibility features for an ibook. Free to download. Perhaps concepts could be used for other subjects  - art etc. Includes plastic overlays, sonification and possibility to download 3D models

Regards,

Lisa

Subject: First born-accessible digital astronomy textbook

Hello DIAGRAM Friends,

We released this book last fall, but I don't think I ever sent an fyi to this group. We used every trick in the book (so to speak) to make the images in the book accessible to all students. The strategies include read aloud, sonification, audio-embossing, tactile overlays, and 3d models. These strategies were employed on a scatter plot, line chart, bar chart, images from the Hubble Space Telescope, and many other conceptual illustrations.

Check out the three minute promo video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uJVX4i1haU&list=PLVBcK_IpFVi9kCxPXz4dd1HO5x_yLLEHJ&index=7

Other resources:

*         Direct link to the free book in Apple's iBooks(r) Store<https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/reach-for-stars-touch-look/id763516126?mt=11?>

*         Ttactile overlays available from National Braille Press<http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/REACHSTARS.html>

*         3d models of the Hubble and James Webb Space Telescopes that can be printed it on a 3d printer<http://www.thingiverse.com/SASInstituteInc/designs>

*         Teacher support page<https://www.sascurriculumpathways.com/astronomy>

*         Tutorial video for Teachers of the Visually Impaired<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AheMP0oS2A&feature=youtu.be>

Best,
Ed
--
Ed Summers
Senior Manager, Accessibility and Applied Assistive Technology

-Scanned by Exchange Hosted Services-