[Art_beyond_sight_educators] Sargy Mann: How a blind painter sees

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Mon Jul 27 09:00:21 UTC 2015

Sargy Mann: How a blind painter sees

In the last weeks of his life, the artist Sargy Mann began writing about
his extraordinary career as a blind painter. The last 10 years of his
life, after his eyesight had failed completely, were paradoxically his
most successful - his final exhibition opened in London this week, two
months after his death. Here he reflects on the nature of perception and
the visual experiences that continue after the loss of sight.

In 1973, when I was only 35, I had cataract extractions in both eyes.
They were, as I had hoped, the orange-brown kind that Monet had had in
late life, and for a week or so after the operations I experienced
colour - particularly cool blues, greens, violets and magentas - with
revelatory intensity. The only comparable experience was the one
occasion when I had taken LSD in 1966. Very soon my brain readjusted,
but the memory stayed with me as a sort of talisman.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33109430
/Sargy Mann: Final Paintings is showing at the Cadogan Contemporary
gallery /
http://issuu.com/cadogancontemporary/docs/sargy_mann_catalogue_fe541a9f92f386

'More, Different, Better' The TED talk that Sargy Mann never got to deliver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULT4rsgwX7Y
Sargy Mann - BBC October 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F_DURj-A84

Everything you need to know about late blind inspiring artist

Check out 5 things about late *Sargy Mann *which should leave you
inspired this new week.

Sargy Mann suffered from cataracts on both of his eyes at age 36, and
gradually became fully blind.

Mann used Blu-tack to paint.

His artworks are regularly exhibited at the Cadogan Contemporary, one of
the biggest galleries in London.

His art  is desired by influential persons such as *Steven Spielberg,
Daniel Day Lewis, Bruce Springsteen* among others.

http://pulse.ng/arts_culture/sargy-mann-everything-you-need-to-know-about-late-blind-inspiring-artist-id3867928.html