[Art_beyond_sight_educators] {Spam?} Sound of Antarctica, London Sound Survey, Silhouette artist, Emilie Gossiaux the Metropolitan Museum of Art

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Fri Aug 19 12:03:52 UTC 2016

New exhibits provide art access for all abilities

http://www.inforum.com/variety/4070246-new-exhibits-provide-art-access-all-abilities

Blindness no roadblock for this artist

The idea of a blind artist might seem like an oxymoron. But
internationally recognized artist John Bramblitt doesn’t see blindness
as a roadblock. In fact, losing his sight led him to the artist’s path.

The Dallas, Texas, artist, whose work is in the Metropolitan Museum of
Art, the Guggenheim and many metro museums including the Dallas Museum
of Art, purposely sought out the Salida Arts Festival, which took place
Saturday and Sunday in Centennial Park.

http://www.themountainmail.com/news/arts_entertainment/article_05533c5c-479e-11e6-b3ff-3349405f3c31.html

How being blind became a 'gift' for author Barbara Blackman

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/books/how-being-blind-became-a-gift-for-artist-and-author-barbara-blackman-20160404-gnxklq.html

An Artist made a 3D Portrait For A Blind Man To See By Touch

http://www.m2now.co.nz/4-artist-made-3d-portrait-blind-man-see-touch/

Blind artist records sounds of nature

Juan Pablo Culasso is blind, but he's developed an unusual skill
recording the sounds of nature across South America. CCTV America
travelled exclusively with him, as a guest of the Uruguayan government,
to listen to the world's last truly unexplored continent: Antarctica.

Despite being blind since birth, sound recordist Juan Pablo Culasso
loves to travel. Now, I'm going with him to film a very special mission.

"The first time I ever heard about Antarctica was when I was 12 years
old. I saw a documentary, which showed the expedition of Scott and
Amundsen. I said to myself then that, one day, I would go to that
continent........." Culasso said.

"I don't consider myself an artist in the normal definition of the word.
For me, the artist is nature, and I just capture these moments."

"Behind me is Maxwell Bay, and this is King George Island on the Western
Peninsula. And it is here that Juan Pablo Culasso is undertaking his
pioneering work to capture the sounds of Antarctica.

"My mission is for these invisible sounds to become visible for
everyone," Culasso said.

We received an invitation to visit the neighboring Chinese Great Wall base.

"You are welcome at the Great Wall."

"I was born to do this. To record sounds. To share them. To teach others
that it is possible to enjoy any type of landscape. Without the need to
see it," Culasso said.

http://english.cctv.com/2016/05/23/VIDETrsRRe8AmB5xHBahNxAg160523.shtml

London as you've never heard it before

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/06/arts/music/london-as-youve-never-heard-it-before.html?_r=0

London Sound Survey

http://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/

http://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/index.php/text/home/

http://www.curbed.com/2016/8/11/12421522/city-sounds-field-recording-london-sound-archive

This Artist Creates Portraits For The Blind Using Something You Have In
Your Tool Box

http://q108.com/ryan-and-gretchen/this-artist-creates-portraits-for-the-blind-using-something-you-have-in-your-tool-box/

Artist Madeleine Sabo featured at Capitan Public Library

http://www.ruidosonews.com/story/news/local/community/2016/04/13/artist-madeleine-sabo-featured-capitan-public-library/82975198/

Pintores holds local artist showcase

http://cnjonline.com/2016/04/13/pintores-holds-local-artist-showcase/

  Silhouette artist: a master at paper cuts

.... "I started as a kid," Johnson says. "My father did them. He got me
started about age 10. Professionally I've been doing them since about
1986." Johnson did his first job when he was a "starving art student"
and began working at Dolly Parton's amusement park, Dollywood. "I've
been doing them ever since," he says with a laugh.

He says he took to cutting silhouettes quickly, partly because he's
blind in one eye.

"I was fortunate in the fact that I was born blind in one eye. So I see
the world two-dimensional. I don't have binocular vision, like most
people, so I don't see in the round. So I took to it like a fish to water."

He says he averages about 100 silhouettes a day but has been known to do
twice as many. In the decades he's been cutting, he estimates that he's
made more than a million shadow portraits at state fairs, toy stores and
parties across the country. He insists his hands never get sore." ......

http://www.oregonlive.com/multimedia/index.ssf/2016/04/silhouette_artist_a_cut_above.html

Artist Refuses to Let Blindness Derail Her Career

Sculptor Emilie Gossiaux is exhibiting her work and teaching at the
Metropolitan Museum of Art

http://www.wsj.com/articles/artist-refuses-to-let-blindness-derail-her-career-1469822409