[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] 3 Artists and exhibitons

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Wed Apr 4 09:54:13 UTC 2012

Robin Antar: First Female Artist To Exhibit At POP International Galleries

*
HuffPost Arts: Why do you think you are the first female artist to be
featured at POP?*

*RA: *What if I was the first female but I was also disabled? (laughs)
I'm not kidding. I was born blind in one eye but didn't figure it out
until I was 16. The eye doctor never covered my good eye, so I never
figured it out until I moved to Brooklyn and went to the eye doctor.
When he told me, I looked at him like he was cross-eyed.

On my website
<http://www.rantar.com/abstract/visual/pages/visual1.html>, there's are
all the works I did when I found out I was blind in one eye. I did a
whole series of sculptures. When I did five sculptures I said, "enough
of this crap." You go through stages.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/21/robin-antar-first-female-at-pop_n_1367119.html

website:

http://www.rantar.com/abstract/visual/pages/visual1.html

article

Artist Chuck Close paints faces, but can't recognize them

Faces have captivated artists forever, so it may surprise you to learn
that renowned portraitist Chuck Close is face blind, and severely so.
Close told Lesley Stahl that he could have dinner with a person one
night, and not recognize their face the next day.

To learn more about the condition, watch Lesley Stahl's two-part
report,"Face Blindness"
<http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57399118/face-blindness-when-everyone-is-a-stranger/?tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel>

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504803_162-10011704.html

short video blurp with Oliver Sacks from Program
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7402175n

article

" activity director at Maplewood Manor, said the artist used different
painting techniques based on the participants' ability.

In some cases blobs of different coloured paint were squirted onto a
canvas and covered with plastic wrap. Participants squished the paint
around with their hands until the paint was blended and spread out.

The plastic wrap, which also prevented them from getting paint on their
hands, was subsequently lifted off to expose a new creation.

A resident who is blind was able to complete a mosaic seascape."

http://www.journalpioneer.com/News/Local/2012-03-11/article-2924587/Manor-residents-develop-their-artistic-sides/1

article and video of artist discussing his works

Painting: BLIND

Israeli artist Roy Nachum believes that art should be accessible to
everybody, even those who are visually impaired. For that reason his
latest works, collectively called the "BLIND" series, combine painting
with Braille signage. The series was inspired by a chance encounter with
braille signage at a museum exhibitionthat forced him to think of new
ways in which the blindcould possibly experience visual art.

Nachum's photo realistic oil paintingsillustrate surrealistic images of
a fantasy realm which employ Braille and a "double vision" technique
that challenges those with sight to question the limitations of their
vision.

http://geekartgallery.blogspot.com/2012/03/painting-blind.html