[Artbeyondsightmuseums] Food for Thought: Thoughts onInteractive Exhibits

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 18 01:06:46 UTC 2014

That would be interesting.

I want to bring another scenario to the table. This one involved a friend of
mine and an aviation museum.

In this instance, all the aircraft were behind glass. My friend was
fortunate to have another family member read her the information about the
aircraft, but some things about this scenario really disturb me. If my
friend's relative had not been there, or was not a good reader, my friend
would have not gotten anything out of the tour. But for my friend, it was
problematic since she was unable to get a good look at the aircraft.

I know that if I had been there, and had my friend been a bad reader, I'd
not have a good experience. I'd likely be asking, "Where's your favorite
celebrity voice talent when you need them?" and I probably would have gone
crazy.

While I can understand that aircraft are incredibly large, my friend's
experience shows why I'm glad we're having this discussion.

While I'm at it, I want to run an idea past everyone. You may know that in a
lot of literature, part or all of the story is set in a castle. I am curious
about what a castle may have looked like, since I've never seen one.

I'm thinking that with a tactile model of a castle, along with audio
narrative through a voice labeler, I could create a multimedia experience
that would, if nothing, would help me to understand what the story is
talking about.

I can't help thinking that something like that would have really helped my
friend. Any thoughts? Thanks.