[Artists-making-art] drawing the internal dialogue

Patricia C. Estes pece03 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 16:28:45 UTC 2014

Good morning,
Linda, I am glad to be of some "help" in your preparation!! I guess I needed a Job!
The discussions have been intriguing...in the sense that I am being reminded of things I already know. Everyone's input has been fun!
About drawing: APH has a tactile board for raised line drawings/math assignments, etc. This is what I would put in the hands of a blind child-the stylus can be used for lines and a type of "shading." And of course, it would also be useful for a blind child to do the same thing as a sighted child, as you mentioned: feel the object and draw it.
(OK, get ready, I digress a bit: This reminds me of the work I have done as an Infant Massage Instructor-there are certain, simple strokes that we teach the parents and the result is calming, of course ...well, unless said baby being massaged is done!... but one of the many objectives of this massage stroke is "to help the infant to organize his/her world." In this case:"These things are part of me...legs, arms...and this is me here and that is someone else over there." At which point the baby realizes that they are getting some undivided attention and they get all excited! And with a blind child, especially, or the newly blinded, this art exercise in observing one's world would be really helpful in sorting out, organizing and internalizing. But it would be helpful for *anyone* to do, and for the same reasons!)
I like that your intent is not to try to get students to experience what life is like as a blind person!! It is just an art play!

OK...about drawing/sketching, I think that is as essential as learning the basics of music before playing in an orchestra. As much as we'd love to skip right over the practice sessions, that just is no other way. And I do think that there are "work arounds" for blind artists of any age who have never seen, to learn perspective and to share it. (Ann would know lots about this). Because of my background in classical sketching with my mom, I could branch out to design and suggest/gesture the images...like fashion design and even like impressionistic painting. Reducing the "story" to the most interesting lines/colors. (which will be different for each artist and viewer).

Best wishes-
Patty