[Blind-Gov] The accessibility of soft phones?

amcarr1 at verizon.net amcarr1 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 16 11:15:37 UTC 2023

Skype for Business and the Skype that is available for free are 2 different products, just like Zoom and Zoom for Government.  I've been pretty successful with using the free version of Skype.  I really think the grabbing JAWS focus was the result of how Skype for Business was configured on our network.  They have decommissioned Skype for Business now that Teams has been rolled out across the agency.

It is my understanding that the third party scripts for JAWS and Teams significantly improve the functionality of the chat and file management, among other things.  For the past 9-months I have been trying to get the scripts approved for installation, and the answer is "No".  I've heard many JAWS users say that they just install them on their own.  That is not going to happen where I am.  We joke and say that if you cannot get a hold of IT support through traditional means, just plug-in a USB device or try to install something, and they will be at your side in a minute.  LOL!

When I was an accommodation analyst at my previous agency, most of our DHH employees liked the instant messenger feature of Skype.  If they needed a soft phone equivalent, they used a software product that gave them access to their Video Phone service provider, or they used internet access to the provider.

The other battle that is on my list is to be able to use Bluetooth to either use a bone conduction headset with my computer, or to interface my computer with my hearing aids.  For now this is not an issue since I have an office at work, and when teleworking Teams no-longer broadcasts JAWS when I am in a Teams meeting or on a call.  So, the Bluetooth access has moved down pretty low on my list of battles.  Now, when I have to start going to meetings in-person where I have to use my computer, this will need to be dealt with.

HTH,
Annette