[Blind-international-students] introducing myself and comments on your discussion

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 01:24:55 UTC 2010

Hi anmol and Dave and all,
This is another reason why I am a part of nfb.
I want people to know that there are nfb members who don't just
robotically support an organization -- just because we admire it or
because we feel obligated by gratitude to do so.
We do and can have a healthy debate.
We may not see eye to eye.
But, at the end of the day:
(as I have stated before)
I am an nfb member because I want to make a positive difference in the
lives of other blind people.
Sometimes, I find that NFB is misguided and can be a bit myopically
focussed on "image" and "media."
Yes, I said it.
But, there is no  other organization (that I have found) that so
strongly supports the blind teaching the blind.
In the NFB "Braille" and "independence" are achievements for everyone.
We want an equal playing field.
And, I have found that (although there are some independent blind
people making great achievements),
there are many NFB members who have high expectations of themselves
and encourage us to have the same.
That is why I am a member.
But, that doesn't mean that I aggree with every decision that the NFB makes.
And, in my mind, although I disagree with the NFB, I can still be an
active member of their organization because (by in large) I do fight
for many of the same things.
We all have heard horror stories of people being blackballed.
I wish that I could set the myths to rest.
All I can do is to tell people that the NFB should be a place where you can grow
mentally, spiritually (if you so choose), socially etc.
It should not be a dogmatic organization and no one should feel
pressured into saying what the organization wants to hear.