[Blind-international-students] introducing myself and comments on your discussion

Guido Corona guidoc at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 9 13:25:31 UTC 2010

Anmol, you essentially answered your own question... You yourself manage to
track your change    with a minimum of ingenuity.  All a currency reform
would manage to do, at an exorbitant cost to the Nation, is for you to
perform exactly the same task without resorting to such minor ingenuity.

Granted, eventually in some future, you may see a transition to more
coinage, as Canada has successfully done with 1, 2, and in the future 5
dollars coins... and possibly with residual paper currency that contain
short range RF tags.  This unavoidable transformation will take time so that
costs can be absorbed, and will be performed in a manner that  it will
benefit the entirety of the country, rather than a single -- fortunately
small -- population.

The National Federation of the Blind, and the bulk of the accessibility
community, are concentrating on rising technological and societal barriers
for which there are no practical workarounds. Some of these, such as access
to dynamic web applications are being solved in the short and medium term by
a trilateral application of new software technologies developed by industry,
collaboration of screen reader developers, and standards organizations.
Other problems, such as that of independent vehicular control for the blind
are extremely long term projects, in which the state of the art is still
concentrating on the detailed definition and implications of the problem
set.

G.

Guido D. Corona
Email: guidoc at austin.rr.com