[Blind-rollers] cooking and carrying things

AgapeDEW at aol.com AgapeDEW at aol.com
Sun Aug 2 18:35:50 UTC 2009

I love to cook, too!  We owned a restaurant for while so I had to  conquer
my kitchen as soon as I lost my vision.  That is where the blind
association was so very supportive.  I started planning daily baking etc  just so I
could trip through the process until I learned by trial and  error.  I have a
microwave stand on wheels that the surface holds baking  supplies andthat
has my specific baking items inside the cabinet.  The  Canisters on top are
the size that I can hold with one hand. All my baking needs  from cocoa to
baking soda is inside the cabinet.   I keep all my  measuring cups and spoons
in the drawer of the cabinet.  All my muffin pans  etc stay in this cabinet
too.

In regards to draining pasta, etc., the blind association has workers that
will help train you to live in your home and do these things.  There is a
pan with a lid that locks does not allow the water to spill when in locked
position. It has vents to leave the steam out as it cooks so when you open
lid, all the steam does not burn you.   You have to use a pan with one
handle...and use the other hand to operate the chair.  I also have a flat,
square colander that works much better then the traditional colanders because it
 can't tip.  Grabbing a pan full of steamed veggies or pasta
means...building those biceps by core strengthening exercises.  I can carry  a stack of
dirty dishes from the table to the sink but I have to stack them  correctly
without silverware in between.  I also make multiple trips.   There is also
a dish/silverware caddy that you can store your everyday dishes in  that has
one handle and u can use that to store your dishes and grab the handle  and
"go" to set the table.
I am known to make sharp turns in the chair, our kitchen is big...  and  my
family dance...when I am around...to dodge my whipping around the  wheels
and running over their toes in the kitchen. We are sitting at table...and  we
realize we need napkins....I am the one to zip over to get the napkins cuz
the chair makes it a breeze to zip and get them.  My kitchen is set up for
me.  Everyone puts the items back where I will know where they  are.  My
aide has been trained....when putting measuring cups etc  away...they have to
go in exact place.  Label or make a chart for others if  necessary of how
you want things organized in your cupboards.  I still am  working on my men
with the spices and someday, they are going to get pumpkin pie  spice in their
fajitas if they don't quit carelessly throwing back my spices in  the spice
drawer lol.  They all think they are Emeril, I guess.

I love cast iron skillets but I can only use them when the guys are here to
 lift it to sink when I am finished with it.  I know I cannot lift a cast
iron skillet...tried it...not doing it again lol.  Lightweight  cookware!
There are oven mitts that go up to your elbows that the blind  association
provided for me for taking things out of oven and draining  things.  No more
burns! A silicone potholder works wonderful. They can  withstand high
temperatures.  Lightweight cutting boards with a handle  gives me a place to hold
on when chopping veggies/meat on a prep  surface and move to the cooking
surface.  There is a rolling chop thing  that the blind assoc gave me that is
great for chopping eggs etc in a  container.  I use a pizza cutter to cut
cakes/cookie bars/brownies.  I  take a clean ruler I just keep for cooking and
put on top of the pan of brownies  2 inches from side of container...then 4
etc...to make an even line to roll the  pizza cutter along.  That can be done
for pizza too. That way my  pieces are even because perception is not my
gift anymore due to vision  loss.  Keep your chair on turtle speed in kitchen.
 Also, use the  space between your legs
on foot petal to put milk etc to transport to your prep area.  I  realized
my fire extinguisher was mounted where I could not access it after I  got my
chair.  I had to throw cornstarch all over my stove cuz my son or  hubby
had spilled grease down in the stove pans....now my aide checks this  daily.
Scared me to death.  I didn't know it ignited and my face was  a foot from
the fire.  Honestly, everyone is so proud at the meals I make  for family and
church.  I bake bread, muffins, and sticky buns for my  Sunday school
class.  Good luck, Holly...get cooking  and just move  around the obstacles!!!

In a message dated 8/2/2009 8:44:31 A.M. Central Daylight Time,