[Blind-rollers] dealing with job interviews

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Thu Aug 20 14:42:30 UTC 2009

Generally I have had little trouble with churches.  For example my guide dog
and I have been in literally dozens of churches.  I have seen ramps making
churches accessible all over the country.  I have seen large print bulletins
in many churches.  I have asked that web sites be accessible and they were
made accessible.

So churches to this little lady's experiences have been more accommodating
then the many restaurants I have been asked to leave, or stores. I asked the
Pastor of one church as I was babysitting my retired guide dog if I could
bring him with me to church on the phone.  He said that was fine.

Christian people are a cut above the "we have to" ADA folks.  It is all in
the approach a bit of education as, "how would we know without a teacher."
I forget what verse of the Bible that quote is in, but it sure rings true
for churches, smile.

And yes because of tradition, Greek Orthodox, for example, it is not across
the board true.  That is why you ask ahead of time if the church has people
with disabilities in the congregation, which generally leads to them proudly
saying what accommodations they do have.  One gal in my former country
church wanted to bring her dad to hear a special speaker.  The church men
built a nice twenty foot ramp for him.  It was even pretty close to ADA
specs. But that is the change one person can make.  It is all in the
approach.

Asking with Christian wisdom and love, is far more affective then the hammer
of the ADA and being locked out of a lift by a hotel like I just was a few
weekends ago. The hotel's legal eagles missed that the door was locked, lol.
Don't worry my lawyer is on the case, lol.

Some churches can't be made accessible, and we all know that. We have two
churches I know of who have made themselves accessible out of kindness here
in tiny Shelton WA" Shelton United Methodist and the Assembly of God, my
church. From my former city Erie PA I can only think of two churches that
are not accessible.  All of the Catholic churches are.  Now I am not talking
fully accessible.  I am talking reasonably easily doable. Though Shelton
Methodist has a lift to the stage.  Just there computers are not accessible.
The kitchen is even doable.

So out of kindness many churches have some accommodations.

Becky and my joy wheels