[Blind-rollers] modifications.

AgapeDEW at aol.com AgapeDEW at aol.com
Thu Jul 16 22:01:44 UTC 2009

_How to  Make Simple Wheelchair Accessibility Modifications to Your Home |
eHow.com_ (http://www.ehow.com/how_4889_make-simple-wheelchair.html)

Holly, I sent you the above link that gives a lot of helpful conversions to
 your home.

There are programs out there to assist in financing some of these
conversions if you qualify.  Just the suggestion of putting a string on the  door
knobs listed in the article I linked you above is a practical start.   My cats
love it too lol.
My church put my first ramp in...and they changed my kitchen over by taking
 the cabinet doors and kickplate out from under sink and stove.  Both are
open underneath.  I have a wall oven and they dropped that cuz I love to
cook and they wanted to continue to get baked goodies at church haha.   Front
load washer/dryers are better to access.  Luckily, I have an  aide  three
hours a day who starts and switches laundry and brings me  clothes to fold cuz
I love folding clothes too because I still have top loader  washer.  I
thought a side by side freezer would be better then top  freezer refrigerator
and I found there was not much storage in the side by side  freezer.  I just
got my roll-in accessible shower but the seat is not here  yet.  When I get
it...I will post a picture for families that are thinking  of installing them
for us.  It has a slide up and down shower bar that is  approx 3-5 feet
pipe running up and down in the middle of the 4x6 shower so  I can use the
handheld shower myself.  The regular shower attachment  is still to the left
above the knobs for others in my family but I have my own  special unit to
adjust the shower flow etc.  You would not believe how  wonderful it was to take
a regular shower after 2 yrs of sponge baths.
Only thing I would do different is drop my kitchen sink about 4 inches if I
 had a choice and at least part of a countertop near the sink for prep
area.  I use a shorter table in kitchen to prep though.  Blind  association
marked my burners with puff paint when I was first learning to use  the surface
range.  Make a list of what is most important to you and then  perhaps
check local agencies to find out what monies are available.  A ramp  is essent
ial and transitional strips in your house.  Good luck.   deb

In a message dated 7/16/2009 4:07:26 P.M. Central Daylight Time,