[Blind-rollers] an idea

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 17:01:57 UTC 2010

I saw this on another list.  My husband and I are both blind, but we do own
a car.  So if owning a car would help with transportation problems, this is
a great idea.

Writer on other list said:
My husband and I bought a new Mini Cooper Clubman two years ago after
learning that they have NO CEILING! on their reimbursement of modifications
needed to adapt the vehicle for the customer(s) to drive. Each of the main
car companies will offer at least some money but most of them limit it to
under $2000.some even substantially less. We each drive with different
adaptations (him with hand controls and me with foot pedal extensions) and
we like to have both on both of our vehicles. We also need slightly
different cushions to drive.so adapting for two people even without a ramp
or anything tricky usually brought us over the amount reimbursed.
Becky ads: I don't know if they will reimburse the adaptations if we are not
the driver or not.  My purpose is to think out of the box.  We have
neighbors who volunteer to drive our car, plus paid drivers. We keep a list
of drivers and go down the list. Molly prefers artsy trips, shopping. Larry
prefers medical trips. Janice likes in town or long distance trips and so
on. Molly can't drive at night. Larry likes morning trips. Janice likes
afternoon or late night airport runs. These are our three primary drivers.

Our car however is old as that is what we could afford.  But creative fund
raising for a car to fit you is possible with help from family, friends, and
. service clubs.

Becky and Jake

database 5397 (20100825) __________

http://www.eset.com