[Blind-rollers] Radio programme about blind rollers

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 01:51:39 UTC 2010

Hello Sasha --
Actually, the first comment I agree with -- I think a blind person, walking
or rolling, should carry a cane to let people know they don't see.
It's the second comment I don't like.  I personally don't move around in
unfamiliar places without a sighted person to guide or push my chair, as
using the cane is difficult when I don't know where I am, and the thought of
descending stairways scare me half to death.
Familiar places I travel in fine.
Sometimes it's hard to be a consciousness raiser when not all blind rollers
feel the same way -- I mean, people on the list differ on which is easier: a
manual or a power chair for a blind person roller.  I think comfort with
travel is another issue where people will differ.  For one thing, people are
rollers for a variety of medical reasons. In my case, I have brittle bones
and so incur serious fractures with even a minor spill.  Case in point: I
was accidently dumped out of the front of my manual chair because of the
load being out of balance and broke both legs, which required multiple
surgeries.  Consequently, I can't afford to have even minor accidents when I
am traveling.  Someone else who is a more athletic roller, could probably
engage in wheelchair sports and could afford to be more active.
So I guess I'm not as negative toward that broadcast as you.
I will go listen to it though.
I am glad you voiced your opinion as it could result in more understanding
on their part, and the knowledge that rollers are "normal people" with a
wide range of abilities.
Take care and keep rollin'!
--le