[Blind-rollers] Blind-rollers Digest, Vol 58, Issue 3

Kerry Thompson kethompson1964 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 05:43:24 UTC 2012

Bibi, your messages are never boring!

Kerry

On 12/6/2012 1:00 PM, blind-rollers-request at nfbnet.org wrote:

Re: [Blind-rollers] Medicade
From:
"Criminal Justice Major" <orleans24 at comcast.net>
Date:
12/6/2012 3:46 AM

To:
"Blind wheelchair users list" <blind-rollers at nfbnet.org>

Hi, Paul,
Yes, there's an independent living center here in Colorado, but not that close to me.
When I did wheelchair clenic earlier this year, the doctor still had to write out a prescription for my power chair and it still ended up having to go through Colorado Medicade anyway.
Yes, having an advocate to back you up is something I agree with.
just yesterday, my O&M instructor wrote a letter to Colorado Regional HUD's office, to state that I can independently move around throughout the apartment complex in my power chair and don't need my husband being there continuously.
I will be making a copy of that letter later on this morning and will send it off to CORHUD.
Next week while I'm on Denver Health Medical's hospital grounds, I'll pick up the letter my primary care doctor wrote.
Speaking of Advocacy, I just found out that my advocate who works for CAHI (Colorado Alliance Helth for Independence) may be losing her job as CAHI will have to close their doors around the end of December, 2012.
I'm not very happy about that only because I've had great service with this organization and my care cordinator, Michelle Henderson has been a tremendous support and big help.
If needed, she also would have helpped fight on my behalf if it came to where I was denied of my power chair.
Happily, it didn't have to go that far.
Just for future reference though, I may have to google the Independent Living Center here in Colorado and keep that info on hand.
Sorry for the long, boring message you'alls.
I am thankful we do have an attorney on list that can be a great help along with offering guidance.
Bibi