[Blind-rollers] power chair maintenance repair

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 8 05:07:09 UTC 2012

Hi, all,
My power chair will have to undergo maintenance repair, definitely.
Since it has two motors, one on the left and another on the right, the left one was damaged because of being forced while my chair fish tailed.
Despite that the power was off while I had it in a parking position, gravity took over when the bus driver had to suddenly stop.
So, a new motor will be ordered and the protection rubber casts which protect my front coaster wheels are going to be replaced.
United Seating Mobility is going to order the parts and once they come in, the mechanic will bring them out to do the repairs.
Despite what's happened, I still have a great chair.
I actually plan on doing a review on it including a testimonial.
After that, I will submit it to Pride.
For those that may be curious on the type of power wheelchair I have, it's a Quantum rehab chair and the latest model series is Quantum610.
For me as a totally blind person, I'm very impressed with it because of the stability it has.
I can admit that I have accidentally rolled off the sidewalk into the street, but because of the four coaster wheels that are on the front and back, they allowed my chair to remain on all wheels.
I'm sure some members may ask the question of how I managed to avoid tipping over since yes, you can easily tip over sideways in a power chair.
Once I'd become aware of what's happening and I feel my chair rolling off the sidewalk or curb, I immediately do a 360 degreese turn into a complete circle to avoid tipping.
No, I do not use the last high speed on my chair unless I have to deal with high ramps or rough parking lots.
Usually, I try to stick with the speeds of one to three.
Despite the two motor wheels, my chair has a total of six wheels.
The four small coaster wheels help in conjunction with the motor tires so the motor directly doesn't have to go through too much strain when in operation.
Another good part about my chair is that it has emergency levers on the sides that can be pulled out in case if I'm completely out of battery power so the chair can be pushed manually.
Those come into handy too during my travel to the repair shop as I wound up getting stuck on a major sand mound.
Thankfully, I was able to climb out and my husband Dale pulled out the levers to push it up the mound.
Regardless of minor things here and there, I'm happy with my Quantum610 and couldn't have asked for a better chair.
you can find out more about the Quantum610 rehab power chair from Pride's web site by doing a search in your search engine.
Another question that probably would be asked is do I use my white cane while operating my power chair.
Yes, I definitely do use my cane.
Since my cane tends to be in my right hand always, my joystick is on the left hand side of me.
Another peppeeve I have is to make sure my safety belt is on before I go anywhere.
I still have it on when being on the bus or accessaride paratransit.
Looking back at last saturday, the safety belt really did save my life.
I also found out from my local fire department that if need be, they would easily come to help me jump start my chair if there is no absolute battery power and no charge is applied as they told me it's considered a rescue situation.
Well, I'm done for this evening.
Talk soon.
Bibi, husband Dale and son Odie
the happy spirited bounty labrawolf