[Blind-rollers] update

Maureen Pranghofer maureensmusic at comcast.net
Mon Nov 11 17:00:23 UTC 2013

Hi
I don't think I've posted here before but recognize many of the names from
the guidedog list in particular.  I'm a totally blind power wheelchair user.
I can walk with a walker as well as long as it isn't too far and there isn't
too much standing.  I had a guidedog who was trained to do mobility work and
also guide the walker.  His harness was very flexible and it worked well,
but I never felt confident to walk myself if there was a sidewalk or street
crossings because I worried about veering and going off the curb sideways.
But for most places I went it was fine.  Unfortunately he became diabetic
and after struggling to control his blood sugar levels with 2 shots a day I
retired im last June after working with him for almost 2 years.  Since then
I have to say I've kind of rediscovered the freedom my chair allows me to
have since with it I can use my cane which I can't do with my walker so I
have the best of bvothworlds walking when I'm with someone sighted who can
give me verbal directions or pull my walker and using the chair and cane
otherwise.
Maureen