[Blind-rollers] dogs and power chairs

Maureen Pranghofer maureensmusic at comcast.net
Tue Nov 12 01:37:40 UTC 2013

Hi
When I had Ally she was a great mobility assistant, not a guide but she picked up hundreds of things for me mostly my dropped white cane.  In fact she loved retrieving canes so much when blind friends came over and set down their canes she’d proudly retrieve them and bring them to me.
Using a power chair with a guide takes significant time and expense and the guidedog schools which provide that service have waiting lists of at least 3 years.  You are restricted to a specific route, can’t just go where you please, most places I have found in using the guide with the walker are too narrow and the places you can go totally independently are somewhat limited.  Just my experiences.
Maureen