[Blind-rollers] answered prayer/loaner power wheelchair

Marlana marlana.lyte at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 18:18:41 UTC 2014

So, Bibi, just out of curiosity, when you walk, do you walk without support? I mean no supporting cane or walker? I'm asking because I'm still trying to adjust to using a chair. I'm still arguing with myself internally about using a chair, I think it's mostly denial. Relistically I wouln't think of walking without some kind of support or walker. I could physically do it, but wow, I would be so stressed. If I couldn't find a place to sit, I would just end up sitting on the floor or something, which I have done.

As someone said, using a wheelchair sometimes, as opposed to not being able to walk at all, can be confusing, much like having some sight as opposed to being totally blind. I just don't know where the line is when it comes to needing a wheelchair. I know I sure feel better when I am in my chair rather than trying to walk when I'm in a strange situation. I have balance issues, spatial issues. So, I need to either be touching a wall, or walking fast to keep my balance. If I could see well, I might not need a wheelchair.

Anyway, I am guessing this confusion is exactly what can be difficult for the insurance companies to sort out as well. (sigh) In the meantime, we are simply trying to figure out how to get along in our lives. :)

Marlana