[Blind-rollers] I Knew It Was Going To Happen

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Sat Aug 16 14:26:54 UTC 2014

Glad you are alright Bibi.

Warmly,
Becky and Jake

-----Original Message-----
From: Blind-rollers [mailto:blind-rollers-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire via Blind-rollers
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2014 10:58 PM
To: Blind Rollers Mailing List
Subject: [Blind-rollers] I Knew It Was Going To Happen

hi, all,
Subject says it all.
Earlier this evening after I woke up from a much long needed rest, I decided
I wanted to go to 7 11.
Boy, I wished I had my regular power chair as I confess I feel more
comfortable with that one than the loaner chair.
I geared up Odie, attached his Kong nylon leash to the left hand side of my
loaner chair and we left.
I haven't attempted to use the chair to go to 7 11 the first time ad I
wasn't so sure what would happen.
So, I walked the two blocks with Odie on the left side and cart on the
right.
Tonight, I figured the need to come out of the comfort zone with the loaner
chair and take the plunge.
I had three tote bags draped over the head rest and my back pack with
umbrella in the back pocket of the seat.
The loaner chair I'm using for the time being is a Jazzy and I'm not sure of
the model.
All I know it has two front motor drive wheels and smaller wheels in the
back with a couple tipper wheels on the front.
The foot plate is flat and large and the chair as a whole doesn't have good
stability as it can tip over easily.
On my way back from 7 11, I had to stop a couple of times to figure out the
task of having my white cane in my right hand, a hot cup of coffee and
operating a power chair.
I had the doffee cup sitting between my legs for a few minutes and it was
definitely hot, so tried to juggle around some more.
I definitely made sure the chair was on slow since I had three heavy bags on
the back and a back pack.
Next thing I knew was the back wheel slipped off the curb and my chair
tipped over completely on its side.
Thankfully, Odie nad enough time to get out of the way before it fell.
I never expected the next part to happen, but apparently, Odie began moving
around in a circle, signaling for help.
Two men and two women immediately ran over to ask if I was okay, get me
unsecured from the chair so it could be put back up on all four wheels.
In the very beginning earlier the first day I had the loaner chair, I was
afrai of what would happen to me if I used it.
Would it tip over and I end up getting hurt?
Happily, I'm very proud of myself for staying calm, composed and not
panicking during the whole situation.
I asked one of the gentlemen that helped me if my dog alerted them or
figured out a way to get someone's attention.
He let me know that he saw Odie move around in a circle and automatically
knew that Odie was signaling for help.
Needless to say, Odie and I made it home afterward and I gave him a special
worker's reward.
He earned two peanutbutter bones and a couple of milk bones as well. I
forgot to mention that after the chair was put back into its correct
position, I praised Odie for getting me help as quick as he did.
He began wiggling and dancing around as he was very happy and proud of
himself.
This isn't the first time I had had a power chair tip over and it won't be
the last either.
My Quantum610 has tipped over a couple of times too, but not as severe as
the loaner chair.
Reason for me not having my original chair back yet was it turned out a
technition that was on call had all the parts for it in his van.
Have no reason why, but the receptionist I spoke with for Neu Motion told me
the she would call me next week to let me know if I will have the chair back
Monday afternoon or so.
I'm sure some will ask if Odie was trained to do what he did.
No, he was never taught that, but I figured he would have naturally learned
on his own and he did it.
Odie definitely saved me and he was a tremendous help.
Bibi and proud MAR son Odie