[Blind-rollers] needing instruction

Lauren Merryfield lauren at catlines.com
Fri Feb 10 07:25:11 UTC 2017

Hi,

Well, I was not able to just sit down and propel myself where I wanted to in
my new power chair. Right now, I need much more practice and possibly some
suggestions/instruction.

In my first attempt to go to dinner this evening driving my new "car", I
stood and manipulated the joy stick to get the chair out of my apt. It just
barely fit through the door.

Then I sat down and began my trek to dinner. I noticed that sometimes when
you have turned to the left or right, and then want to go straight, you
don't necessarily go straight, because the wheels are still in turning
position. How do you deal with that issue?

I did go straight a small amount of the time but mostly zigged and zagged
left and right like some kind of drunk, down the hall.

I ran over my feet a couple times, trapped my hand against the wall one
time, and, in general, was on a ride that was like a roller coaster on a
level surface.

The important fact is that I made it to dinner! But I'm sure anyone watching
me was worried for the walls.

I didn't use my cane tonight. I mostly used my feet. I will try next time
with my cane and see if that works better. Tonight I feared getting the cane
caught somewhere and bending or breaking it and it's the only cane I have,
my BartholoMEW, a catly name.

How do you hold steady on the joy stick so that you do actually go straight
forward or backward. It moves almost too easily. Is there a correct way to
position your fingers/thumb on the joystick that gives you more control over
it?

I'm filling out paperwork for paratransit in the city I'm moving to in a
couple weeks. One question they had is "is your power chair oversize?" I
don't know that. I am guessing it might be because I am.

When you take something as heavy as a power chair on the plane, where do
they put it? Are they careful with it? They were not careful with my manual
chair a couple years ago and I ended up with a better one from them for
their error.

Thanks for now,

Lauren

Blessings in Jesus' name. "But as for me, I will sing about your power. Each
morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love. For you have been my
refuge, a place of safety when I am in distress."

   --Psalm 59:16, NLT

Advice from my cats:"meow when you feel like it."