[blindkid] extremely difficult to wake child from nap

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Wed Dec 3 02:15:01 UTC 2008

Hello Jason,
Your son is probably still functioning on Indian time. Check online to
see what time it is in India.

However, as an early childhood teacher, I would like to make the
following comments and give you the following suggestions.

Your child is five years old. He does not need a nap in the
afternoons. I would not be putting him down for a nap at all. He needs
to get used to not having a nap in the day.

You also say that he does a lot of self-stimulating behaviours. This
is because he has lots of energy. I would do lots of things with him
that use up energy.

Through my work with parents of blind children, I have found that
people tend to forget that, although a boy is blind and sits still a
lot if left to his own devices, he is still a boy and needs to be
encouraged and taught to do what boys his age do. He needs to run and
jump, to roll and climb, to walk and crawl, to push and pull. I
wouldn't start with toys. I would start teaching him to play by
physical interaction. Roll him over and try to get him to roll
himself. Take him for very long walks. Get him to run to you in a
large open area. Take him to the park or local play-ground and teach
him to climb and slide and swing. Wrestle with him yourself and give
him horsey rides, bouncing him on your knee, and piggy backs. Give him
bear hugs while he lies on your chest as your lie on the floor. Roll
over and lift your body up over his as he lies on the floor. Play hide
and seek, pretending you can't find him. Then find him and grab him up
in your arms and, standing up, throw him up and catch him. He needs to
feel his energy buzz and know he is alive. He will also learn language
more quickly when the words are associated with an action. One of
those mini trampolines would be a good investment for him. They are
available new at Walmart or K-mart for a reasonable price, but used
ones of higher quality are also available on Ebay.

When your son starts to get sleepy at around 4 in the afternoons, what
is he doing. If he is sitting doing nothing much he may well be dozing
off to sleep out of boredom. I suggest that you make sure he is doing
something active at that time. Having lots of energetic activity
during the day, as well as having no nap, will ensure that your son
develops normal sleeping patterns at night.
Regarding toilet training, I would use traing pants, and not diapers,
with him so that he can feel the wetness and discomfort.

Although your son has developmental delays, it is vital that you head
him towards age-appropriate behaviour as quickly and unrelentingly as
possible. I would stop him mouthing immediately. This is a learned
behaviour and must be unlearned as soon as possible. If he continues
to be allowed to put stuff in his mouth, why would he bother looking
for more socially appropriate things to do. It is always amazing to me
why people will let blind children continue to do inappropriate
behaviours, when they would not tolerate the same from sighted
children of the same age. I must point out to you Jason that I am
disagreeing with common proceedure. However, my experience has shown
me over many years that children can be taught to stop mouthing and
that it is just a bad habit that should have been stopped years ago.
It is usually allowed to persist because of some misguided assumptions
on the part of sighted people that the child needs the extra
stimulation of mouthing because of his lack of vision. However, it is
neither socially or educationally appropriate for a blind child to be
allowed to constantly use his mouth instead of his hands for exploring
objects. As the child doesn't know that others don't stick everything
in their mouths all the time, he needs to be told to stop doing it and
given alternative ways of exploring his world. He needs to stop
inappropriate behaviours as soon as possible. You have way more of a
chance now than you ever will as he grows older.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Heather Field