[blindkid] extremely difficult to wake child from nap

SUSAN POLANSKY sepolansky at verizon.net
Wed Dec 3 03:39:56 UTC 2008

I just read the post from Heather Field and I do agree with what she said. That being said my son had sleep pattern disturbances from birth. I totally understand your description of the child who appears to be awake but truly is not. For many years from late afternoon to bedtime keeping Jason awake was a full time job. He needed to be kept on the go, if we let our guard down for a minute he would be asleep and there would be no getting him totally awake. We would have to be interacting with him constantly, we would go for walks no matter how hot or cold or wet it was outside, we would place him in the tub and sit there while he played which would not only keep him awake but usually gave him a second wind to stay up longer. We used Melatonin at bedtime and Mountain Dew in the afternoon. It was truly a balancing act for years. Our son is anophthalmic, through a message board I am on for parents of anophthalmic children many of them have similar sleep
 pattern disturbances. Even now at age 12 he sometimes falls asleep to early, when we go to wake him it is like he is sleep walking. He still drinks a soda around 3 or 4 in the afternoon to get in a caffeine load then takes his Melatonin around 9 and goes to bed. He sleeps about 6 to 7 hours a night and that seems to be the amount he needs, he is usually up around 4 to 4:30 AM.

Susan