[blindkid] Things to include in a 1st grader's IEP

Kieszak, Stephanie (CDC/CCEHIP/NCEH) sek7 at cdc.gov
Tue Dec 9 18:46:55 UTC 2008

On January 12th, my daughter's IEP meeting will be held.  Her current
school ends with kindregarten.  We are anticipating a disagreement about
placement with the county (resource room school versus the feeder
elementary school partnered with her current school).  My husband and I
want to be as prepared as possible going into the meeting so please send
along any suggestions for things we should request. For example, it
never dawned on me before this year that we needed to specify that
homework would be brailled. We've asked for amendments to her past IEPs
as things have come up.  One year they wanted her to use a "safe"
cutting tool instead of the scissors she had already been using for a
year.  We asked them to include a statement that she was to use the same
tools/equipment as the rest of the class unless it was agreed upon
otherwise with us.  If there are other things like that we could plan
for ahead of time, it would be helpful.
I'd also welcome input on how many hours of direct TVI instruction your
child received in 1st grade.  Kendra is currently reading above grade
level so we don't want to lose any momentum.
Thank you!
Stephanie