[blindkid] Things to include in a 1st grader's IEP

Dr. S. Merchant smerchant at vetmed.lsu.edu
Tue Dec 9 21:04:21 UTC 2008

Stephanie,

Does your school system have an accelerated or gifted program.  If so,
Kendra may deserve placement consideration or gifted services.  This is the
perfect time to ask, since in many cases 1st grade is where they start doing
"extra" or start identifying and offering other services/programs/placement.

It adds a little extra layer, but in our case, not much more, just
coordination with the gifted program to send over a teacher for gifted
services and enrichment, since we chose to keep Michael with his VI teacher
in his class of 3 other VI kids and not send him to the gifted class which
was in another elementary school.  However, by 3rd grade we made a decision
to send him to the gifted class at another school and have his VI teacher be
itinerate.  He was well grounded in Braille and other VI skills (as well
grounded as a 3rd grader can be) and now needed to be surrounded by his
academic peers.

So,, just a thought.

Sandy Taboada