[blindkid] My daughter is turning 5...

Crystal Abel websurfergirl19 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 18:38:11 UTC 2008

My daughter, Tatiana, is turning 5 on January 5th. I am wondering if I can get some advice from you? I do not have a School for the Blind close to me. The one in Salem, Oregon is 2 hours away from me. I have been home schooling my boys and here they do standardized testing for home schoolers starting in third grade. I do not know how the school system works for when she is in Kindergarten. Tatiana is developmentally delayed and still doesn't crawl or walk yet. She has a whole slew of endocrine problems and is totally blind with nlp. She also has seizure disorder and a Mic-Key button because of feeding issues. Developmentally she is about at 2-3 years of age in her communication skills and less than that physically. We live in Rainier, Oregon right across the river from Longview, Washington.

I am wondering about if I put her in the mainsteam public school system what can I expect? What will they be doing with her? Do they just not do standardized tests with her? Please tell me your experiences putting your child in mainstream public school. Thanks!

~Crystal