[blindkid] My daughter is turning 5...

Andy & Sally Thomas andysally at comcast.net
Thu Nov 13 02:59:16 UTC 2008

Dear Crystal,

I'm not sure that we can answer the question about what you can expect.
Programs for blind kids vary greatly from state to state and even from
school to school.  I would suggest that you visit the school your daughter
would attend.  Talk with the teacher and observe the classroom.  You know
your child better than anyone.  I believe that you will have a feel for the
program once you experience it.

That being said, your child has certain legal rights to education.  You can
fight for what your child needs.  Sometimes all it takes is your
persistence.  Sometimes it takes professional help in the form of an
advocate and/or attorney.  Each situation is different.  The law is somewhat
vague so you have to decide what is the best use of your resources of time,
talent and money.

I wish we could guarantee you the best for your daughter but the reality is
that you will have to be vigilant and keep learning about what she needs.
We are here to help the best we can.  You will become the expert.

Sally Thomas