[blindkid] Crystal: My daughter is turning 5...

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 05:40:21 UTC 2008

Dear Crystal,
I see you have received excellent beginnings from Rene and Sally and Gloria.
I have also asked a teacher from your region to contact you privately, she
is one of the best in the entire nation.

I just want to clarify that we are the National Organization of Parents of
Blind Children (NOPBC), and www.nfb.org/nopbc is our website. You can often
type a subject or word, such as "multiple disabilities" or "IEP" in to the
search engine on the home page and many of our past articles from our
magazine will come up on the issue you are searching for.

We offer a free subscription to our national magazine, Future Reflections.
We have a past special issue on Multiple Disabilities. You can subscribe by
emailing Barbara Cheadle, Parent Outreach Director at our Jernigan Institute
at bcheadle at nfb.org with your name, address, child's name and birth date.
Request to become subscribed as well as for our past special issue on
multiple disabilities and request any information packets she may recommend.

Some of our parents, a number of them, home school and are on a home school
list as well as this one and likely will contact you privately about it. It
is not our list but seems to have been helpful on home school info.

Here is contact for the NFB President in Oregon. Art is a great guy with
lots of enthusiasm, he can hook you up to other NFB and Parents in Oregon.
We also have another great NFB person in Oregon, the former President who is
an educator at her own Montessori program, Carla is a national expert in
education and the Montessori methods. She is also a great advocate. I have
copied her on this email, as well as Art.

NFB of Oregon
Art Stevenson, President
1616 5th Street, N.E.
Salem, Oregon 97301
Phone: 503-585-4318
E-mail: artds55 at comcast.net
Web site: www.nfb-or.org/

This is our list and we are a division of the National Federation of the
Blind, who supports this list fundamentally. This is a primary way to
contact us, and well, you already have. Smile. As you can see by my
signature I am the president of the NOPBC, Rene is the Parent President of
our Colorado Parent Division, Sally is a leader in our Texas Parent
Division, and also one of the list moderators. I believe nearly every one of
our State Parent Presidents and also all of our National Board members are
on this list, as well as a spectrum of great parent leaders, some newer,
some involved for 25 years, teachers and many blind adult NFB members who
are also State Presidents and longtime leaders are on this list. Some of us
post more often than others, but there is the widest range of expertise and
situations represented on this list, quite literally from around the world.
We are here for you all the way. If we don't know the answer we will help
you find it. The hardest work and self education must come from you, but we
will support and provide every resource we can to empower you to raise your
blind child to live up to her/his personal full potential.

Warm Regards,

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc