[blindkid] When your child realizes she's different....

landjwest at bellsouth.net landjwest at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 18 18:40:10 UTC 2008

wow, thats a hard one. My daughter is 13 and she was born blind. Her birth mother had std's. At age 15 mths her birth mom scalded her in a tub of hot water. Maleka has sever scars on her whole body and one day when she was in the tub she felt her skin and asked why is was bumpy and mine wasn't. I told her that she had been burnt when she was a baby. She then asked a very tough question, "Mom, did you burn me?" Now I faced two questions, one who did it and two now I must tell her I wasn't her real mom.
I did what I think every other loving mom would have done. I told her that once she had a real mom who brought her in this world and that one day that mom wasn't watching her closely and she feel into some real hot water. I never could have told her "Your real mom burnt you"
Then another day she asked me why her brother could see and she couldn't? Well I explained that all of us have things we struggle with in life and hers is her sight. Maleka is delayed but my friend she knows alot more than we think she does. I told her that one day when we are in Heaven she will have brand new eyes and will be able to see. I jokingly said you will get to see me! To which she responded "No I want to see Jesus first." I was stunned and am very ok with taking a second seat to Him.
Maybe my story helped alittle I don't know but i had to share. If you would like to see more visit my page at www.mymaleka.com
God Bless,
Laura West
-------------- Original message from "Kieszak, Stephanie (CDC/CCEHIP/NCEH)" <sek7 at cdc.gov>: --------------