[blindkid] When your child realizes she's different....

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 03:44:41 UTC 2008

Hi Stephanie, and everyone else who has written with so many worthwhile
suggestions!

Most of the time, both intellectually and emotionally, I believe that it is
respectable to be blind and short. In fact, I am the shortest one in my
family, all my children are taller, and I sometimes hate that. I am certain
that everyone of us has more than one characteristic that we would love to
live without from time to time.
However, blindness is more noticeable than many other characteristics that
people have, and Kendra has become more aware of it recently. Perhaps a
group of kids began to talk about something they were watching on television
or on a computer game. Maybe people began laughing at something that was
happening aways off and Kendra asked what was going on with little response
from the group. These kinds of things happen fairly regularly for most of us
and when it does, we may feel a little left out. At such times, it is
difficult to think of the many positive things about the characteristic of
blindness that all of you have so elloquently shared. I think it is
important to encourage her to talk about her feelings before you remind her
of the many advantages of blindness which have been mentioned here. As, I
believe has mentioned, she will revisit these feelings from time to time as
she grows and this is so normal. We have six people in our family, three of
whom have eye issues of some sort. Hardly a day goes by when I as a wife and
mother am not listening to the struggles of another member of my family and
I assure you, the eye issues to not out weigh the scores of other things
that come up. I guess all of this is just a part of life.

Please feel free to contact me off list, Stephanie, and we can get our
families together so Kendra really can have some quality experiences with
blind adults and and a soon-to-be blind teenager.

Bonnie

  -----