[blindkid] IEP help needed / thanks

Doreen Franklin theconelady at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 23:19:51 UTC 2008

I want to say a huge THANK YOU to those who gave me info for our daughter's goals for the IEP. Many of you said the same things we have been saying ... this child needs to learn print and Braille and I have had in the back of my head the use of a cane.

The cane came up last week in conversation with the TVI/O&M and he emphatically said she does NOT need a cane ... then asked who would teach her to use the cane! I told her that if the school board would not, then I would ask the FL School for the Deaf & Blind as she is NOT SAFE even at home! We are concerned for her safety and how serious the hurt has to be before we can get O&M for her! I did ask him how seriously she does need to be hurt and then what happens ... he didn't say much after that.

As for the Braille ... that is a whole 'nother mountain. We have been saying since April she needs Braille to be taught NOW (as well as print) and that is not happening. The excuses are "she has too much sight, it will be too slow for her and she won't like it" .... which of course are not consistent with IDEA. (I have some Braille books and she is excited to read with her fingers as mommy tells the story!!!!)  I have even tried to tell them about eye fatigue and lighting (she has light sensitivity) for example, and I continue to get "she won't need it!" .... "she won't have fatigue" is what her TVI told me! All I could think of was how wonderful that this TVI can predict what my child will and will not feel!!!!

I did speak to the head of ESE who is also the vision coordinator (although I highly doubt he knows beans about vision services or eye conditions). I voiced some of my concerns and he said to email him all of our concerns about the IEP (not including the goals) as well as the other evals that have been done for Torrie. I am doing that today. I just cannot believe that we have only been in the "school district" since Aug 07 -- 15 mos -- and it has been an uphill battle. WE STILL HAVE 20 YEARS TO GO!!!!!

Please keep all your ideas coming ... they are definitely giving us the support we need to have!!! I may print them and bring them with me to our meeting!

Doreen and David