[blindkid] Accessibility to the IEP goals before the meeting

Kasondra Payne kassyp36 at msn.com
Thu Oct 23 23:48:26 UTC 2008

Hi Gang,

I have read some of the recent posts, and I have decided to share the wonderful things that have happened with respect to my son Andrew and his IEP.  Being a blind mom of two blind kids has presented me with interesting challenges.  We all worry about our children getting appropriate alternate formats for school work, but I have to worry about that for meeting notices, progress reports, and the like.  This is true when dealing with the professionals who work  with my blind children, but it is also true when dealing with my sighted son's IEP team.  There are some teachers who are willing to use email, but this has not been universal.  We are preparing for Andrew's IEP tomorrow, and I am pleased with everything I have receivedin preparation for it.  I have received all the proposed goals by email as well as all the notifications and forms I needed to sign and fax back.  I have also received weekly progress reports and other information about Andrew.  All this close communication has made Andrew's transition to the school for the blind easier.  I have to fin ish reading through all the material I have been sent, and there is a mountain of it.  At least I have the mountain of material to read before the IEP.  sURE, i AM GOING INTO THAT MEETING WITH CERTAIN OBJECTIVES FOR MY SON, but I believe it will go well.  Here's hoping for good luck and no freak snow storms.

Kasondra Payne