[blindkid] New IEP Help Development

Underwood, Melinda munderwood at vabvi.org
Fri Oct 24 17:28:10 UTC 2008

Hi Carrie - Don't know if this is helpful, but I was unable to attend
one student's IEP meeting last year (the O&M person was there). Nobody
noticed that my service hours had been cut by 1/3. I didn't see any
mention of it in the minutes so it took awhile for ME to notice. When I
did, and brought it up to the case manager, she said she didn't remember
that happening. She talked to her supervisor and told me that it seemed
to have been a typo. But when I asked for the hours to be reverted, she
said, "Well, it's there now and the parents have signed it so we can't
change it." When the mother complained (many, many months later), the
case manager told her that I could do one of my two direct service
visits at home. This is in a school that provided ZERO time for
inservice trainings of staff and has no regular team meetings. Wish I
could say I've been able to help the family change the situation around,
but I haven't. I did connect them with a family advocate and hope that
will help at the next IEP meeting. mu

Melinda Underwood, M.Ed.
Melinda Underwood
Teacher of the Visually Impaired