[blindkid] Seeking advice: blind daughter intentionally excluded from birthday party

landjwest at bellsouth.net landjwest at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 29 01:18:40 UTC 2008

Hi,
First let me say I am so sorry and i feel your pain. You are not over reacting and we as mom's feel alot of our childrens pain even when they don't. I have mixed feelings about this. I think the other mom who is protesting is awesome,pat her on the back. But I think her words would do better if she went to the other childs mom and asked her straight up why your child was not invited. Maybe the other mom really doesn't have a clue what blind children can and can not do. My blind daughter surprises me every day with the things she can do. at that point if that mom gives a reason that is bias or judgmental then I think your friend could stand up and say "My child will not be attending either then."
I had a blow to me a couple of weeks ago. I am white and my daughter who is adopted is black (and horribly scard from having been burnt in a tub of hot water, visit www.mymaleka.com to read and see her story) Well she has this sweet little friend who is white and he loves her with all his heart. he use to call her on the weekends. Well the other day she told me she couldn't be friends with him any more because he can't be friends with black girls. I asked her who told him that and she said his mom. Talk about racism. two little kids who are blind and don't even know color and have to be taught who to like and not like due to color. She then asked me if her brother (my biological child,white) was black too. So it opened up  whole discussion I would have never dreamed of having with her. i explained to her that God loves all people and does not see color and we shouldn't see color either. As far as his mom, I decided to let it go. I am a Christian Speaker and I speak about the lessons I have learned through my daughters eyes and not judging people based on color, race, economic status or by size are a few lessons she has taught us and just pray and hope she is somewhere when I speak and feels convicted when I share that part of my story.
If I confronted every person that has let me down or offended me about my daughter I would stay bitter and mad all the time. i figure just show them unconditonal love and let God convict them. I however, would buy that child a gift and send it to school. Although she handed out invites at end of day kids know when other kids have bdays and parties. Let your friend stand up for you and you kill the other mom with kindness. You might end up being best of friends one day.
God Bless,
Laura
www.mymaleka.com

-------------- Original message from Grace Sato <gracets at covad.net>: --------------