[blindkid] Baseball question

Mindy Lipsey mindy_lipsey at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 7 00:13:48 UTC 2009

My son has been playing baseball for 4 years.  This is the beginning of his 5th season.  He is very athletic and has done exceptionally well up until this year.

Due to Stargardts, his vision is now 20/200.  This is the first year where he's now having trouble hitting the ball.  He can catch and he has a great arm, but he is now swinging too late and continually missing the ball.

He wants to continue playing and doesn't want to quit.  But, Josh is also frustrated and angry.  Tonight is the first time he's ever said he wished he didn't have an eye disease.  He says he wishes god would have given it to another kid who doesn't love sports like he does.

I realize there are other sports that Josh can continue to participate in forever.  Wrestling is one sport he began last year and he loves it.  But he also loves baseball.

My question for the group is:  Are there any adaptations others have tried that have allowed their children to continue to play baseball?

Thanks-
Mindy

Mindy Lipsey
Mediaedge:cia