[blindkid] question re shopping assistance

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Wed Dec 9 21:13:49 UTC 2009

The ADA is the law that ensures access to public accommodations by
people with disabilities and Sears is indeed a public
accommodation.  The law does not require any particular accommodation
to be provided; in fact, the wording in the law about accommodations
is very general.  So stores can choose the way they want to provide access.

It gets tricky because for most of the public, "access" means a
wheelchair can get through, and many in the public, including store
personnel, do not realize what other sorts of access might be called
for.  Perhaps calling the store in advance and finding a mutually
agreeable time for shopping assistance would be a workable solution.

Carol