[blindkid] question re shopping assistance

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Wed Dec 9 21:30:41 UTC 2009

Sounds like we have some work to do in clarifying the letter of the law.
Accessibility  would most certainly need to include being able to traverse
the store as well as be able to read sales signs and such.  Perhaps in
addition to a kind and thoughtful request, there could be a strong assertion
that a blind persons reasonable access would include much more costly
resolutions which could most certainly be avoided by proper customer
service.  Again, I would also ask stores if they have personal shoppers.
This is something I was introduced to by sighted individuals who have been
using them for years.  Interesting how laws are written in ways that the law
can be ignored. Very frustrating indeed.

Albert J. Rizzi, M.Ed.
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.
90 Broad Street - 18th Fl.