[blindkid] question re shopping assistance

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Dec 10 03:06:33 UTC 2009

Susan:

I agree with your son's O&M instructor. The law says your son has a right to
visit places of public accommodation and participate in programs and
services just as anyone else who is not handicapped does. This may mean that
reasonable accommodations should be provided -- *except* that this need not
be done if said special accommodations would cause an undue hardship to the
place of public accommodation, program or service. Of course, your son has a
near-absolute right to participate in places of public accommodation,
programs or services if s/he elects not to use special accomodations.

So this is one of those situations wherein blindness is a nuisance and your
son should become sufficiently resourceful to obtain his own shopping
assistant if he is pretty sure that there won't be any where he intends to
shop. For example, I'd procure someone to assist me any time I planned to
shop at either Costco or Winco! (grin)

I know this wasn't what you wanted to hear but them's the breaks!

Happy holidays!

Mike