[blindkid] 4th Grade Math and introduction of technology

Patricia Renfranz dblair2525 at msn.com
Wed Feb 4 03:16:31 UTC 2009

Sounds awfully tedious.
In 4th grade, my daughter used an abacus for computation and a Perkins
Brailler to record answers.

In 7th grade, she is still using a Perkins for all of her algebra work. We
are planning on trying software called Nemetex that handles linear (so, not
long division as would be set up in print) math in a way to go from
BrailleNote to inkprint. However, our issues with technology, learning
another piece of software, etc... make us leery of moving in this direction
too quickly.

Setting up math on the computer is not always easy - maybe for a division
problem it is straightforward, I don't know. For more complicated math
people use Math ML and such. It's doubly difficult to get that compatible
with accessibility software. When I spent a little time on the math
listserv, I thought, this is going to have to come later.

Maybe a compromise would be to use the "Math window" on a problem or 2, to
show the teacher he knows how to set up a division problem, then have him
gain the abacus skills so that the computation is less cumbersome? In the
meantime, two resources are Susan Osterhaus at TSBVI and Gaylen Kapperman at
Northern Illinois University, who may better be able to steer you towards a
technology-based way to get through this. You might also pose the question
on the NFB's math listserv.

Good luck,
Pat
dblair2525 at msn.com